Last updated: November 2018
A tour of Myanmar, or known by its old name of Burma, is an experience that will remain in your heart!
The incredible hospitality of the population and their serene smiles, the spectacular landscapes and the unique sacred buildings make the Asian country one of my favorite places to travel.
I would never stop going up and down Myanmar on a battered train, on a narrow seat of a bus or on a scooter looking for new places to explore, especially now that tourists are coming to fleets and there is a need for find new areas to visit off the beaten track!
Some of the activities I suggest you plan during a trip to Myanmar:
- Jump on the circular train that runs through the area around Yangon and get off at one of the stations on the line, the one that inspires you more … and visit the place, I assure you that something interesting will happen!
- Explore the fantastic temples scattered throughout the country.
- Take the boat from Mandalay to Bagan, if you have time (and want …) choose the slow boat, where the locals go up and down at each stop, transporting all their goods to the various villages. Unique but rather long journey.
- Rent a scooter and go around the southern countryside around Mawlamyine or Hpa An.
- Go trekking, the most popular trek is about 3 days from Kalaw to Inle Lake.
- Lose yourself on the streets of Yangon and try to chat with the friendly locals.
- You will always remember the dawn at the Bagan temples. Some decide to watch it from above on a hot air balloon (rather expensive but unique option).
- Lots of things to see, visit, explore … wherever you are heading there will be something interesting or some pleasant meeting with some of the locals.
- Take lots of photos! The country is an heaven for photographers. At every corner there is something beautiful to capture in one click, if you wait 5 minutes something that will attract your curiosity will certainly happen!
Some info about Myanmar
Capital of Myanmar: Naypyidaw
Population: 52 millions
Official language: Burmese
Calling Code for Myanmar: +95
Myanmar Visa: you can get it at the embassies present in each country. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into the country. It is also possible to obtain a visa on arrival through with an E-visa in Myanmar: for more information visit evisa.moip.gov.mm
N.B. Always check before leaving that the rules for obtaining the visa have not changed recently!
Phone and Internet: It is easy and cheap to buy a sim card (Mpt is a good telephone company with good coverage), you can use the wifi service in many hotels and some restaurants. The line is usually not fast.
The main tourist destinations of Myanmar:
Myanmar is famous for its “big four”: Yangon, Mandalay, Inle Lake, Bagan. Obviously, as always, Myanmar is not only this but much more!
If you arrive from some far countries you will almost certainly fly to Yangon, a colonial-style city, very busy and culturally interesting. You will find one of the most fascinating monuments of Asia and the most important of Myanmar: the super golden and beautiful Shwedagon Pagoda.
At Lake Inle, at 900mt high in a spectacular landscape surrounded by mountains, you will experience the culture of the country with the various ethnic minorities that live here. You will find the fishermen of the Intha ethnicity, unique in their style of fishing in one of the most photogenic landscapes of Asia!
Mandalay is second to none of the other destinations for a trip to Myanmar. Ancient capital of the country, nearby you will find the other old capitals of Amarapura and Sagaing and the wonderful longest teak bridge in the world of U Bein Bridge.
The fourth, and perhaps most fascinating destination of Myanmar, is Bagan, on the banks of the Irrawaddy River, was also the capital of the country, with its thousands of religious structures including temples, stupas, altars and monasteries … a sunset seen from the top of one of its beautiful architecture is something that will penetrate deep into your soul!
Myanmar, when to go?
The monsoon season that bring rain goes from May to October.
From March to May the country is really hot.
The main season to visit and travel in Myanmar is from November to February / March.
One idea is to go to September and October when in Burma everything turns green and the air is clear. Sometimes it’s raining, but it’s not bad !!
N.B. Lately the weather conditions are changing a lot, so sometimes the seasons are not always as expected!